Sunday, November 20, 2016

Pundi Kacang

Fay Rhatmanee,21 a henna artist recently introduced her Cafe called Pundi Kacang to Ipoh.A name that people had forgotten because kids these days do not play seven stones like before.

Fay's dream of owning a henna cafe cum art space became a reality on the 29th October 2016.Deepavali day saw the opening of a retro henna cafe in Ipoh.


"It's actually based on something that happened. I had created this list of names where i wrote down every single object, event, whatsoever that was from my childhood while waiting in the car  for my baby sister. I wasn't really happy with the names I had on my list. They didn't really stand out or they're probably too common. I looked around in frustration and  noticed that there were these two girls  playing batu seremban. I miss playing that! I remember back then we didn't need to have a smartphones or whatsoever to entertain ourselves. Simple seven stones can make us so happy. We used to "battle" batu seremban from class to class for the whole month of November back in primary school as we were done with exams.

"I remember back then I wanted to play batu seremban with my cousins in my grandma's house. She wasn't too happy as we were leaving scratches all over the pretty marble tiles. She then decided to make us 'Pundi Kacang'."

Reminiscing all those moments and Fay finally got a name for her studio.

"Everything here is a DIY so I do not have to cough out so much of money to set up this place."said Fay

The cafe is on the top floor of a shop lot and there are murals on the wall as one goes up the stairs to the cafe.The murals were painted by Fay and her friends.The decoration is simply "retro". Drawings of P.Ramli and his Bujang Lapuk friends are painted on the wall and a drawing of girls playing  seven stones are painted on the door.

What about the food?
"My mom and I are the ones cooking. She'd cook the oriental dishes and I would do western, dessert and light food."replied Fay

" I've always pushed my mom ever since I was 17 to be a food caterer or at least delivery you know cause her food wasn't just like any other mom's. The authenticity is there. Especially when it comes to Thai food and we hardly get that in Ipoh no matter how "Thai" they claim to be. Now, it's like a dream come true. I get to work with my mom closely, she's finally cooking to sell and not just serve at home." said Fay with pride

Their speciality are "Laksa Siam" and Nasi Lemak Kampung


The concept. .

"I came up with this henna art, cafe and event space all in one single place because I think it's really special and you don't have it anywhere. Not that I know of, at least hahaha. I am constantly surrounded by a lot of creative people and it hit me that if I were to open up a place of my own, I'd like to also showcase their talents at my place."

" Some of them are just emerging in the entertainment and art industry, some of them are already famous. Either way, I love to celebrate art. Their talents are a gift from god and it shouldn't go to waste."

"It's refreshing for henna art lovers to actually get their favourite henna art stained while having some good food, drinks, music and company in a very cosy retro setting. I really hope that my studio will be one of the stops for cafe hoppers/tourists. It's worth it, I can guarantee that."

"I finally got everything in one place and I'm more than happy now to be able to share it with the community. I really hope this studio lasts because it's a very refreshing concept that has to go on."said Fay with determination.

Having heard all that from this Ipoh lass,Perak which was voted by Lonely Planet as the 9th place to visit in the world is proud to present a unique place for tourist and locals alike.



No comments: