Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Growing up in the hippie era

How, where and when does not only apply to the art of journalism but also on how one shapes up or basically how one becomes the type of species that one is. I just realised this while seeping coffee just now.

 My primary years was during the mid 60s in Kuala Kangsar. My parents were both from the same town so I supposed that's why we had a house in Kuala Kangsar. To be honest with you, dear readers, I considered myself lucky because my childhood was full of adventure hence I became an adventurous old woman. I was 10 when I  heard about Janis Joplin and the legendary Hendrix. I haven't a clue to their music because my parents were fans of Engelbert and Tom Jones. I was exposed to their songs together with songs by Frank Sinatra.

Later I  heard of the concert which all hippies and laid back humans could relate to called The Woodstock!

Come the 70s when I was 12,I learned of the Beatles. I became their fan immediately. My favourite album is still Abbey Road and their White Album. I was in love with George Harrison at the age of 13 till the day he died.

The 70s was the best era and again I considered myself lucky. Growing up at a time when being laid back and listening to records at home was the norm. Of course that was the time when smoking marijuana was the 'in'  thing among the hippies. Yours truly was too young to indulge in that. Thankfully my parents pulled the string back before I could fly further. To me, I was the kite that flew where the wind blew. The best time of my life! Then they sold the house in Kuala Kangsar and we moved to Ipoh.

In the 70s,we were free to mingle with friends from all kinds of backgrounds and races. We connect through music and all things nice and we met at school.

I became a hippie naturally. My male friends had long hair and we would hang out at the field in Green town during the weekend, sitting cross legged on the grass. We don't have proper shoes, we wore flip-flops and there was always music wherever we are. Rock music by Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin was 'groovy'. We don't have much money so we would share the bottle of coca cola between us.
We didn't indulge in drugs but somehow we were high on life. God I love those years of my life.
The Abbey Road poster that I bought recently cos it reminded me of my past.  


No comments: