Friday, December 2, 2016

What yoga means to me.

I remember my first step in my yoga journey during which there were no yoga classes in Ipoh or maybe it's me that could not find a class.Anyway I was self taught in the beginning. I learned the art of yoga from dvds, magazines, books and finally I joined a class.

I remember those time when I would practice forward bend on my own  and it wasn't easy to touch my toe.That was 'the journey',trying to reach my toe,the pain which taught me patience.The day I managed to touch my toe and the floor was like as though I have passed an exam.I began to gain confidence.

My first yoga teacher was one of the best in Ipoh.She guided us ,her students well and you can tell that she's a yogini from her ways and her looks.She is very simple,that's what yoga does to a person.She has no make up on her face,yoga makes a person comfortable being in their own skin.

Yoga is a journey which is different for every person.Learn to listen to your body,my teacher often said."If you feel a sharp pain,back off from the pose" the words from my teacher which still rings in my ears.

After years of yoga,I realised that like the devil,ego would take over and I began to show off my yoga poses.What for? It was a silly mistake and now that I think about it, yoga is personal and the benefits are in me.What's the point of showing off my yoga skills,the poses are just preps for the real journey.Yoga is a way of finding Inner Peace.

No comments: